Well, it seems that no one can fall asleep! My last 3 Reiki clients presented insomnia as their number one issue. What is going on?! Too much is going on that’s what. How many irons on the fire can you juggle before you get burned?
Did you know that consistent lack of sufficient sleep is dangerous causing serious health and lifestyle problems? Here are some ramifications of sleep deprivation:
Kills Sex Drive (See how I put this at the top of my list?)
Sleep specialists say that sleep-deprived people report lower libidos and less interest in sex due to depletion in testosterone and energy and an increase in sleepiness, and tension.
Over time, lack of sleep and sleep disorders can contribute to the symptoms of depression. In a 2007 study of 10,000 people, those with insomnia were five times as likely to develop depression as those without.
Causes Weight Gain
Not only does sleep loss appear to stimulate appetite. It also stimulates cravings for high-fat, high-carbohydrate foods!
Increases risk for serious Health Diseases
Lack of sleep pushes your body into the ‘fight or flight’ mode which increases adrenaline raising heart rate, blood pressure and cortisol (the stress drug) causing:
- Heart disease
- Heart attack
- Heart failure
- Irregular heartbeat
- High blood pressure
Both major disasters like 3 Mile Island & Chernobyl and every day accidents/public safety hazards like work injuries and car accidents have connections to sleep loss.
Decreases Cognitive Function
Lack of sleep impairs attention, alertness, concentration, reasoning, problem solving and memory.
Ages Skin’s Appearance
Pasty skin, puffy, dark eye circles and fine lines will stay with you with chronic lack of sleep.
Wow! That’s scary. Now you see, we must get serious about our sleep. We really can’t be at our best with out it.
How much sleep is ideal? According to the National Sleep Foundation 7-9 Hours for adults to 64 yrs. of age is required for ideal functioning.
My next Quarterly Newsletter- Health & Happiness will include a comprehensive article on techniques guaranteed to put you into dreamland. Until then make sure you are following these basic, common sense rules:
- No caffeine after 2:00 pm (you know what has caffeine right? Coffee, tea, chocolate, soda, energy drinks, ice cream, etc.)
- No sugar after 2:00 pm
- Try to shut down your computer and other electronic devices at least 2 hours prior to bed time
- Shut all electronic devices off and leave them outside of your sleep area. That includes your phone!
- Turn any digital clocks away from you and/or cover them with a cloth. (reduce EMFs)
- No TV in the bedroom.
- Get physical exercise during the day, at least 3 hours prior to bedtime.
- Ween yourself off of sedatives/sleeping pills if you are using them. They have side effects just as serious as insomnia!
- Have a comfy mattress and pillows.
- Shut off/block light.
- Insure quiet in your sleep area and if this is not possible use a white noise machine or just pop in some ear plugs or ear-buds with beautiful, sleepy-time music like this: Marconi Union-Weightless.
p.s. One more thing for easier sleeping- Get some Reiki!