Practice this desk yoga everyday, multiple times/day if possible and you will be as pliable as Gumby! I promise. Follow along with me in this 11 minute video or execute as described below.
Sitting in your desk chair with spine long, feet flat on the floor. (pay no mind to my feet flying around. Even with the seat on the lowest adjustment I am too short to touch the floor completely!)
Firstly, take some deep inhales bringing the breath all the way down to the belly and exhale completely by compressing the tummy at the end of the breath, releasing all toxins. See these 2 breathing techniques for additional assistance: Square Breathing, Alternate Nostril Breathing.
- Look left, look right
- Nod head up and down
- Tip R ear to R shoulder, Tip L ear to L shoulder
- Make slow circles with your head
- Move head from left to right while facing forward like a “harem girl/belly dancer’
- Bring shoulders up to ears, press them down away from ears as far as they will go.
- Circle your shoulders forward & up, back & down.
- Circle your shoulders back & up, forward & down.
- Bring right arm across body to left, Bring left arm across body to right
- Raise right arm up over head, bend elbow and gently push elbow back with left hand. Do the same with the left arm.
- Circle the wrists one way and then the other.
- Hold left arm out in front of you with straight elbow, elbow crease to ceiling. With right hand gently press left fingers down toward floor. Hold. Do the same on the right side.
- Clasp hands in back of you (if you can’t connect hands grab a piece of material or your co-workers tie and hold that, open chest, and neck if you choose.
- Arms straight overhead, hands clasped in prayer, lift out of the waits, shoulders down, away from ears.
Sit up tall in your chair, tighten your belly muscles, press your hands along side your hips on the chair and push into your hands while lifting your butt off the chair and feet off the floor! Hold!
- Sit up tall, lift right arm up over head, bend at the left waist and lean over to the left keeping chest and belly pointing straight forward, right arm curving over to left. Repeat on the other side.
Cross right ankle over left thigh just above the knee, bend forward until you feel a stretch in your outer right hip. Breathe there for a few minutes. Repeat on other side.
Fold forward bringing your head toward your knees. Relax there for a few minutes.
Keep your legs/feet in the same position as the last posture and circle ankles one way then the other.
If you can stand up at your desk you can rise up onto your toes and back down a few times to continue your ankle loosening.
Lastly, sit back down, close your eyes (ignore the stares from your co-workers and boss) go inside yourself and feel the calm.
Please contact me with any questions about this sequence and I’ll be happy to help!
Lisa Hassett, Reiki Therapist, CYT
Healing For Body, Mind & Spirit
Visit Me On Social Sites!
Reiki of Greater Boston
Healing for Body, Mind & Spirit
505 Waltham Street, Suite 2
West Newton, MA 02465